Situated between the Country Club of Virginia and the University of Richmond is a period 1954 modern residence by architect Bud Hyland. He was a prolific Richmond architect in the mid 20th century and apprenticed under Frank Lloyd Wright. After returning to Richmond, this was one of his earliest commissions. The new owners are leading a complete restoration of the original house, a major reworking of the lower level west wing, and a small new addition. The original structure is entirely intact and it is the first house of its period to get Virginia Department of Historic Resources recognition for historic tax credits.
The renovation of the lower level of one wing reconfigures the original 1954 maid's quarters into a current-day prime bedroom suite and family room. Large expanses of floor-to-ceiling sliding glass panels will restore transparency from front to rear of the space as originally intended in Hyland's plans to connect interior and exterior spaces, but was lost in later decades. A series of full height custom millwork units will run along the length of the wing, and provide a way of separating the bedroom suite from a corridor and gallery, while creating ample storage accessible from both sides. The project also cleverly reworks and conceals mechanical and plumbing systems within the millwork spine.
A small new addition will accommodate storage of garden equipment, tools, and conditioned storage for the owner's seasonal items and be plumbed as a future cabana serving the existing pool. In keeping with DHR requirements to clearly differentiate new from existing, the addition will be clad in oversized dark gray manganese ironspot brick with matching mortar, and a natural Cumaru horizontal rainscreen. The existing house is red brick, and painted vertical plank siding. Vertical slot windows will create visual separation of the addition from the existing.
Stay tuned for additional photos as this project develops.