CAPE CHARLES

Originally built in 1923, the historic Parsons Building (center image) in downtown Cape Charles Virginia is planned to be restored. The project will create boutique retail space in three bays at the ground floor, two ground level accessible dwelling units and six modern condos on the second and third floors with views across to the Chesapeake Bay.

In order to preserve the entirety of the existing brick facade, and still provide open air covered outdoor spaces for 6 units, we've created new exterior walls behind the existing front wall. In keeping with the dominant porch-culture prevalent in Cape Charles, this solution provides spacious inset Loggias without compromising the historic integrity of the building front.

This renovation will nearly complete the restoration of the entire street of Mason Avenue, which has thrived in the past two years as the town has been revitalized after being largely abandoned since the 1950s.

Cape Charles was founded as the Southern Terminus of the New York, Philadelphia, and Norfolk Railroad Company in 1884 where southbound North Eastern travelers transferred to ferry boat for transport to Norfolk across the bay.

Design and Construction 2019-2020

c. 1925

c. 1925